Saturday 27 March 2010

Films on my mind.....er..... today.. but a different today than last time.

Watched.... 3 films today... not bad if I dare say so myself.
What films you ask!
I'd be more than happy to tell you; you lucky dogs.

Well, firstly I watched Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. Typical Hitchcock film... very good, very tense, very 50's. But still, more than just enjoyable. Had me shouting at the screen in points; always a good sign if you ask me. The ending frustrated me a little I suppose.. at the time anyway. Now I'm thinking about it again, I think it was actually very clever... But that's Hitchcock for ya. James Stewart was magnificent! Not quite as good as Rear Window, admittedly, but still very good. And it's another film to tick off the 500 greatest of all time :) Best Bit? The crazy dream sequence that looked like it was clean out of Disney's 1951 Alice In Wonderland.

Secondly, the creepy haunted hotel, 1408. Now this one I have my ups and downs with... John Cusack is incredible. He puts up a truly stunning ghost story writer, calm witted at first but goes crazy within the room; this made all the more effective due to the contrast of his original sly character. But what annoys me is the 'ghost' type people who !!!SPOILER!!! walk out the windows and so on. They don't seem like the depressed, suicidal, crazy types they should be portraying... but i suppose that's down to the Director eh. The story and effects are fab, even though there are a couple of depressing scenes involving the protagonist's daughter. Best bit about the film? Samuel L Jackson's line: "It's just an evil fucking room." Brilliant.

And finally, one I've been meaning to watch for a while. The Mummy Returns. I had seen the first and third installments of the series but I had missed the middle one. Good ol' Sky Showcase showing the whole series all day. Brendan Frasier is funny and.. well... pretty gosh darn badass. Which is excellent. Okay the story is a little more wacko, with little tree creatures, a huge fudging scorpion and killer scarabs but hey that's the mummy right? Best Bit? Any bit with the little kid... He's just awesome.
Okay I'm done for now..

Signing Off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment